Skip to main content

Randomness and Hardness

This semester, Prof. Arvind is offering a lecture series on the issues related to randomness and hardness, extractors, expanders and error correcting codes. Last 5 lectures he has been talking about randomness and hardness. For the first time I have had such a great introduction to the topic. I shall now write a small summary of few issues discussed during these lectures. But only techinical issues are infact from the lecture. All the other junk is self cooked, so please excuse Arvind if any errors below.

First of all why should one try to relate randomness and hardness? Lets eavesdrop on the following conversation.

A: You are always doing something unexpected
B: Why what happened...?
A: I mean, "knowing you so long" I felt you would have said 'yes' to join for picnic...but you are "truly random"
B: truly random??
A: yes, very very "hard" for me to predict..

As is evident, 'random' and 'hard to predict' are almost synonymous phrases.

Next, What is random and what is not?
So to define any sort of randomness one would like to have a observer dependent view point. This is infact what is called pseudorandom. Say I am God (if you wish) and I know everything and I remember everything and I have all the time in the world. Well then, may be nothing is random and I will know what is in store next. But if I am merely a mortal, then even an unexpected rain is a random event. But suppose I am a mortal working in for weather forecasting, then again things are different. In other words if I am a resource bounded computation machine, then depending on how little or how huge my resources, some function will 'seem' truly random to me. Hence, computer scientists define randomness with respect to a resource bounded complexity class. The main point is, one doesn't have to be truly random, one just should 'seem' to be random, pseudorandom.

The focus of the course has been on building pseudorandom generators (PRG). They are typically functions which take small (length m) strings which are "truly random" and output longer (length n) strings (m less than n) . The output of the PRG is a valid input to a random algorithm A from a complexity class C. And C is a complexity class to which output of this PRG seems truly random. Now suppose one needs to have a algorithm B to do exactly what A does, but without using any random bits. In this the PRG plays a important role. What B does is runs over all choices of inputs to PRG (all length m strings) and does exactly what A would do. Now note that B doesn't use any randomness. Also thanks to the property of PRG of being able to stretch small inputs to longer outputs the algorithm B simply needs to run over all choices of m length strings (2^m) rather than having to run over 2^n choices. This is the process of derandomization. All the effort is being made to unconditionally derandomize random complexity classes like BPP.

Now to technically summarise what has been proved till today:

Nisan and Wigderson's definition for PRG.
Nisan widgerson construction for PRG.
If quick PRG G: m -->n exists then for every nice t(n) BPTIME(t(n)) <= DTIME(2^(m(t(n))). Existence of PRG <--> Hard functions.
If there is a function f in E=DTIME(2^(O(n))) which has subexponential hardness then P=BPP.
If
here is a function f in E has polynomial hardness then BPP <= intersection over all c' of DTIME(2^n^c') Theorem by babai,fortnow,nisan,wigderson:If (EXP is not contained in P/poly) then BPP is contained in intersection over all c' of DTIME(2^n^c')

Proof outline: Direct Products for hardness amplification.
Goldreich-Levin Theorem
Two more theorems to come. today he talked about some quasii random strings which I haven't understood yet. So hopefully I type some more later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slumdog Millionaire, what's the fuss all about?

I saw the movie a few days ago. I really don't understand: why so much fuss? If an Indian director makes a fully filmy hindi movie, no one gives a damn about it. But some non-indian comes and makes this movie and people are going all ga ga about it. A.R. Rehman has given music better than "jai ho". Anil Kapur has done roles better than this. This movie has set new records in making a big deal out of a not-so-amazing movie. I say this because, even a huge fuss has been made about why there is so much fuss about this movie. That is like the second order fuss about the movie! And here, I am making the third order fuss with a huge lot accompanying me in doing so. To start the tirade-- The main guy is such a put off! He has a unique expression on his face, indicating he really has no clue what people are talking about. You are supposed to be poor, not dumb for god's sake! Even some of the witty lines are lost due to his dialog delivery. For example, when one police man say...

The "What next...?" demon

What next?.... When I was a kid, I always thought that there is a certain age till when this question will bother me and after that, like for my parents, things will be in order. Life will fall into a routine and I will never again be confronted with this demon called "what next?". But turns out, for our generation, there is no point of rest. The demon is a part of our life like stability was for the generation before us. This realisation is also stale by now. In fact, it has been more than a few years since I even resigned to this way of life. The time period between such a realisation and resignation was hard, I must confess. But not anymore! The confrontations with this demon are a reassurance of life itself! (feels embarrassed after having said such things....) My childish philosophies may be sounding hilarious to you (reader). (Thank me for the entertainment! You are welcome!) What I wish to announce is: for a while, I do have an answer to one such "what next...?...

Valentine's special

its a love story of two strange people who never knew they could fall for each other when they first met they only ended up fighting but slowy it became clear to them that they sure shared something a small problem happened when pride overtook him he thought she was less smarter than him she would solve a puzzle and he would solve it again he would tell her that she was simply an idea away from him... he said that he always gets this idea and then he does all that she can and probably much more... one day she decided his behaviour had to be checked she thought for a while and then she said... fine, then you sure can do everything but if you are strictly more smart you have to do the following think of some puzzle that you can easily do and then give it to me to solve and lets see if i can't do.... all the king's men and all the king's horses could not come up with a puzzle like this the duo got closer and the world around more curious today as it stands the puzzle is still ...