Skip to main content

Interesting problem

Suppose you are listening to songs using xmms. And you allow a (almost uniform) random shuffle. There are 100 songs in your song list with each of duration t1, t2,..., t100. What is the estimated time
before song 42 is played?

I am going to hang around here till finally song 42 gets played. Whats worse, xmms's random shuffle doesn't seem all that random.

Comments

Chintan said…
hmm, the problem seems incomplete. Assuming perfect randomness from computers (a paradox in itself), song#i might not be played at all. You need additional restricting conditions and slightly re-framing the question. I think, what we can calculate is the probability that song#i is played within some fixed time 't'

Have left probability a long time back, so can't think of a strategy now but, the problem sounds interesting so will try to get back to it later.
Anonymous said…
well its a trivial question. i solved such problems when i was 5 years old. it's simple. all u 've to do is to realize that the problem can be to mapped to the problem of constructing vector bundles in a mohovoric space with conical singularities. Then one can apply the usual vanishing theorem to obtian the result.

There is ofcourse the subtlietly of wheter mohorovic discontinuties are simple or of the fano variety type. However in this case one can show that the singularity is actually simple for which one has to simply use the well known restriction sequence of bundles on P_n. Then from this can see that the singularities are of the simple type. So finally after a very long calculation the answer turns out to be...

[\sqrt{t1t2...t100}]/
[exp{t1+t2+....t100}]
Chintan said…
@anon: That doesn't make sense, AT ALL. How does seismology come into play here, wise guy!!
Anonymous said…
I agree with Chintan. The anonymous has written some bluf instead of giving thought before writing.

I will try to think about solution for this problem. Interesting!
Anonymous said…
dear chintan and the second anon. the permutation group P_n has a realization in algebraic geometry via the McKay correspondence, which you are both unaware of. So
it's not suprising that what i wrote in the comment went way above your head. I suggest you take some algebraic geom. courses before commenting on things you have no understanding of.

If you guys genuinely want to understand the solution i gave please ask me specific questions, instead of the rants you write here. For instance neither of you asked me why the answer i wrote is independent of t_24. This would have been a good question, which i'll be happy to explain if you are interested.

Popular posts from this blog

Slumdog Millionaire, what's the fuss all about?

I saw the movie a few days ago. I really don't understand: why so much fuss? If an Indian director makes a fully filmy hindi movie, no one gives a damn about it. But some non-indian comes and makes this movie and people are going all ga ga about it. A.R. Rehman has given music better than "jai ho". Anil Kapur has done roles better than this. This movie has set new records in making a big deal out of a not-so-amazing movie. I say this because, even a huge fuss has been made about why there is so much fuss about this movie. That is like the second order fuss about the movie! And here, I am making the third order fuss with a huge lot accompanying me in doing so. To start the tirade-- The main guy is such a put off! He has a unique expression on his face, indicating he really has no clue what people are talking about. You are supposed to be poor, not dumb for god's sake! Even some of the witty lines are lost due to his dialog delivery. For example, when one police man say...

The "What next...?" demon

What next?.... When I was a kid, I always thought that there is a certain age till when this question will bother me and after that, like for my parents, things will be in order. Life will fall into a routine and I will never again be confronted with this demon called "what next?". But turns out, for our generation, there is no point of rest. The demon is a part of our life like stability was for the generation before us. This realisation is also stale by now. In fact, it has been more than a few years since I even resigned to this way of life. The time period between such a realisation and resignation was hard, I must confess. But not anymore! The confrontations with this demon are a reassurance of life itself! (feels embarrassed after having said such things....) My childish philosophies may be sounding hilarious to you (reader). (Thank me for the entertainment! You are welcome!) What I wish to announce is: for a while, I do have an answer to one such "what next...?...

Valentine's special

its a love story of two strange people who never knew they could fall for each other when they first met they only ended up fighting but slowy it became clear to them that they sure shared something a small problem happened when pride overtook him he thought she was less smarter than him she would solve a puzzle and he would solve it again he would tell her that she was simply an idea away from him... he said that he always gets this idea and then he does all that she can and probably much more... one day she decided his behaviour had to be checked she thought for a while and then she said... fine, then you sure can do everything but if you are strictly more smart you have to do the following think of some puzzle that you can easily do and then give it to me to solve and lets see if i can't do.... all the king's men and all the king's horses could not come up with a puzzle like this the duo got closer and the world around more curious today as it stands the puzzle is still ...