The qualities in people I appreciate/love/absolutely adore/admire. (Warning: Many intense words will be repeatedly used)
1. I admire people who have ability to be completely content with what they have. That doesn't mean to give up and not try anything further than your ability. It just means to be in peace with what you have. My parents are classic example of this. They have faced many things in their life. Have had bad hard days. But I have only seen them completely content with all/whatever they have had. (daughter like me!!) I put such people absolutely on top of my adore list and can't stop respecting them.
2. I admire people who can throw themselves completely into something. That may be for a small time e.g. for preparing for a talk. Or that may be for some big cause. If you can put yourself on a hold for a while and just give your best to something outside of you. Keeping all the noises in your head away and give your best. I admire such people.
3. I admire people, who in spite of being extremely talented have no air about it. I am so fond of such people. I used to have a girl called Sneha Thomas in my class. She was like this ultra brilliant female in my class. But she had absolutely no air about it. Getting through IIT was like a piece of cake for her. But she was always there to help us out with our physics problems. People like her have to be treasured.
4. I love people who are downright fighters. By that I mean, those who don't give up easily when faced with real problems. Remember the movie Cast away? That type!! Sea replaced by any damn big problem.
5. I admire people who have the courage to leave a profession they are good at and happy with just to avoid stagnancy. Safety and security in general play so much role in our lives... To take conscious step to give up all security you have and do something else must take immense courage. May be such people can not support a stable family etc. However, as individuals I still can't stop admiring people like this.
6. I admire people who are frank. Of course one can't be frank with a stranger. But if I know someone long enough, frankness and honesty are two things I absolutely crave for. Some things are better said in front of me than having to hear about them from other people.
7. I absolutely admire critical people. (people who are critical of me). Though, when they criticise I may not agree with them/like what they say and retort back angrily. But these are the kind of people who make me realise all the faults in me and I will always be grateful to them.
8. I admire people who don't lose a child in them at any age. My mother, all my friends. They all have such non-complicated (if that's a word) mannerism. They laugh through their eyes. Nothing seems unnatural/artificial about them. They say exactly what they mean. They are the most adorable bunch.
This list also doesn't seem to end.....anyways... More later....
Feeling better than how I felt when I wrote my last blog entry. :D:D
1. I admire people who have ability to be completely content with what they have. That doesn't mean to give up and not try anything further than your ability. It just means to be in peace with what you have. My parents are classic example of this. They have faced many things in their life. Have had bad hard days. But I have only seen them completely content with all/whatever they have had. (daughter like me!!) I put such people absolutely on top of my adore list and can't stop respecting them.
2. I admire people who can throw themselves completely into something. That may be for a small time e.g. for preparing for a talk. Or that may be for some big cause. If you can put yourself on a hold for a while and just give your best to something outside of you. Keeping all the noises in your head away and give your best. I admire such people.
3. I admire people, who in spite of being extremely talented have no air about it. I am so fond of such people. I used to have a girl called Sneha Thomas in my class. She was like this ultra brilliant female in my class. But she had absolutely no air about it. Getting through IIT was like a piece of cake for her. But she was always there to help us out with our physics problems. People like her have to be treasured.
4. I love people who are downright fighters. By that I mean, those who don't give up easily when faced with real problems. Remember the movie Cast away? That type!! Sea replaced by any damn big problem.
5. I admire people who have the courage to leave a profession they are good at and happy with just to avoid stagnancy. Safety and security in general play so much role in our lives... To take conscious step to give up all security you have and do something else must take immense courage. May be such people can not support a stable family etc. However, as individuals I still can't stop admiring people like this.
6. I admire people who are frank. Of course one can't be frank with a stranger. But if I know someone long enough, frankness and honesty are two things I absolutely crave for. Some things are better said in front of me than having to hear about them from other people.
7. I absolutely admire critical people. (people who are critical of me). Though, when they criticise I may not agree with them/like what they say and retort back angrily. But these are the kind of people who make me realise all the faults in me and I will always be grateful to them.
8. I admire people who don't lose a child in them at any age. My mother, all my friends. They all have such non-complicated (if that's a word) mannerism. They laugh through their eyes. Nothing seems unnatural/artificial about them. They say exactly what they mean. They are the most adorable bunch.
This list also doesn't seem to end.....anyways... More later....
Feeling better than how I felt when I wrote my last blog entry. :D:D
Comments
What do you think of a person who tries to say that s/he understands a veiled truth which others ignore but is afraid that others might be bored or agitated if s/he starts talking about it?
I believe most of what you wrote here is quite common and universal demands people make when they interact with someone. And still we forget them. The reason maybe, talking from my own perspective, I am taking the long-cut of aping to be the one that conforms to those ideals, rather than transforming myself to do the things I am sure will put me in everyone's Hall of Fame.
You wrote " I admire people, who in spite of being extremely talented have no air about it." I was thinking, when would you say that a person is talented? I think everybody thinks s/he is talented and probably everybody is right. Did you mean a talented person is one who has demonstrated it by being successful? Or one who has the potential to demonstrate it?
It is a good exercise to look back and find out the attributes in a person that helps you admire her/him. But when you just start admiring someone, do you get it?
Keep up with such good write-ups :)
intention of writing a post about what i like or don't isn't that people change etc.... so i guess, u were not serious abt that one....
if the kind of person is my close friend i will ask him/her to speak his/her mind...along the way, hearing his/her words if i get agitated or bored, i will tell that to him/her.... so, i guess i wud if at all try to elimintae such complicated situations from my life...and then i have no judgement to pass.... in general, i don't seem to have any opinion abt such people....
what do u mean by transforming oneself to get into hall of fame of everyone??? i think it can be reduced to SAT and thus NP-hard..;p seriously, its not possible to change oneself to please someone for long.... thats the whole thing abt compatibility and stuff... i have merely written the kind of people who i like and feel comfortable around...... there is of course no absolute judgement on those who don't fit in in this list!!
by talent i don't mean achievement...i mean, just being good at what u do.... it may be swimming/singing...anything... if smelling a wine u know what all has gone into making it, u r talented...if looking at the proof u know what was author's intuition u r talented...and i really don't think everybody is talented.... no!! very few r and if on top of that they know it and r down to earth they r the really amazing....like sneha thomas..:)
whether u know if u admire someone... if u try to tell urself u don't want to think abt it, u don't!! if u give it a thought, eventually u know whether u like/admire a person or not... and why u like may be very hard to answer i guess....
thanks for stopping by, and how abt not signing as anon the next time??
My name is Ayan, I met you at IMSc few months back. I was there for almost half a year.
I have few more things to write, but I have a class now most probably (I am not sure if it's 1:30pm or 2:30pm because I didn't take the last class and I remember it was supposed to be changed).
One thing, I didn't assume that you wrote this post to change the world. Or the people staying there. Probably most well-planned efforts to change the world or people or even an individual are sure shot flops. According to Kathopanishad (as explained by Mr. Shankaracharya) this Universe iscreated by Prajapati, but even this Prajapati is not at the apex of the heirarchy of the system. It says at the apex lies a formless, shapelss, no-smell entity called Nirguna Brahma who hasn't really created anything. S/he (is SEXless too) didn't create anything, but did some deep thought (Sankalpa). The whole world including Prajapati is the manifestation of Her/His/It's thoughts. So the only thing real about you and me, your posts and world around (according to Kathopanishad) is that it conveys the way Nirguna Brahma thinks. So, if it's thoughts and no creation in the true sense of the term from Mr. Nirguna that is supposed to be the Mayavi world around, you need not really write posts to change people (and I believe you don't) to actually change people (which you probably do, without knowing, "Zanti paro na" - as said in a popular Bengali dialect).
And I don't think there's any reason to feel guilty if you do change people for the Good :)
again to stress my point, i have no goal of changing people for good or not!!
i am happy to hear you like these posts and are a regular reader....however, i urge you to stop commenting out of context...
The movie "Gladiator" is a good example. Also, "The Count of Monte Cristo", the book, not the movie. I cite these examples because it is important to preserve your humanity even in disaster or revenge situations.
Have you ever seen such people in real life? You never know, if you meet some such person, you may not like her/him because of certain other disturbing aspects of her/his personality.