Skip to main content

Esperanto

Wiki says the following about the language Esperanto.

"Esperanto is by far the most widely spoken constructed international auxiliary language in the world. Its name derives from Doktoro Esperanto, the pseudonym under which L.L. Zamenhof published the first book detailing Esperanto, the Unua Libro, in 1887. The word esperanto means 'one who hopes' in the language itself. Zamenhof's goal was to create an easy and flexible language that would serve as a universal second language to foster peace and international understanding."

Its a very logical and structured language. Unlike English, every letter in the language is pronounced in exactly one way and does not depend on the word in which it appears. This is true for even Marathi and Hindi (two Indian languages). But what is more amazing about this language is, its grammar rules are fully deterministic. There are roots for nouns, verbs, adjectives. They all have distinguished suffixes that indicate whether they are nouns, verbs or adjectives. Also connectives combine with the roots in exactly one way. Once you internalise the basic setting, you can build your own complicated sentences without any further help.

One might say that, its true for any language. But usually for any old language, the basic setting itself is extremely hard to internalise. That is why learning any new language is very difficult as we grow up. On the other hand, due to its structure, Esperanto is pretty easy to learn. In about 2-3 weeks one can start communicating. After that its matter of building up the vocabulary.

Also one might argue that the beauty of the language lies in the exceptions to the rules of its grammar. Like Sanskrit has many such exceptions. And possibly it does make the language richer and beautiful. But again, it sure makes it very hard to learn. And even harder to use for communication.

The most wonderful thing however that I like about it is, the high it gives me when I build new words from very basic vocab. For example, if I know a word for say good then I can come up with a word for bad immediately by simply adding a prefix. Bona is good and Malbona is bad. Seka is dry and malseka is wet, sana is healthy and malsana is unhealthy. In fact if you know a word for house/place and a word for unhealthy you can come up with a word for hospital. Similarly if you know a word for book then you can come up with a word for library. Also if you suddenly see a new word, you might be able to nicely split it into small parts and deduce the meaning. Its almost like a game.

I am learning it currently from following web course.
http://pacujo.net/esperanto/course/

I intend to buy a book for this. But its not available anywhere in Chennai. There are Esperanto associations in India.
http://www.geocities.com/bharato/
And they also have book collections. The closest for Chennai is Bangalore Esperanto club. Any one planning to come from Bangalore to Chennai? Buy me a book, will you?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Quite, quite interesting ! Its like a structured programming language the words or terms of which can be built by adding logic to the known words.. like ! equivalent to mal.., etc. Well, thats what my brain could grasp.. will check for more in wiki ! Well, you asked for book. I am a frequent visitor to Landmark. Can check when I go there next.
Nutan said…
Hey Uday,

Thanks for the comment. I have chacked Chennai Landmark. They don't have any books. Let me know if you find any.
Anonymous said…
Hi guys!

I don't know if it helps but the popular site http://www.lernu.net might help!

Salutojn! Brian
Anonymous said…
I was pleased to read this blog, as I speak Esperanto myself.

Personally, I've made friends around the world through Esperanto that I would never have been able to communicate with otherwise. And then there's the Pasporta Servo, which provides free lodging and local information to Esperanto-speaking travellers in over 90 countries. In the past year I have had guided tours of Berlin and Milan in the planned language. I have discussed philosophy with a Slovene poet, humour on television with a Bulgarian TV producer. I've discussed what life was like in East Berlin before the wall came down, how to cook perfect spaghetti, the advantages and disadvantages of monarchy, and so on. I recommend it, not just as an ideal but as a very practical way to overcome language barriers.

A lot of books and learning materials are available from the Esperanto Association of Britain - and you can communicate with them in English if you want!
Anonymous said…
Great article! Other resources worth considering are kurso de esperanto, a free self-contained multimedia course for beginners that requires no books, and Lernu's course library, which contains several other free self-contained courses (check them out before starting, some require a live corrector, and so are not entirely self-contained).
Anonymous said…
You might be interested in this small book, totally in Esperanto:
http://tinyurl.com/5lyfzu
it's quite entertaining and aimed at beginners. You deduce the grammar from the examples and illustrated text.
And you can listen to daily programs in Esperanto here:
http://www.polskieradio.pl/eo/
This is a modern rationale for Esperanto:
http://lingvo.org
Nutan said…
@Brian,@Bill @Chapman,Michjo, @mankso: Thanks for your comments and all the links. I'll have a look.
Unknown said…
Learning any language improves one's career, as probably one can get more informed, get more skills in one's own language and so on. But reaching a deep knowledge of Esperanto is not as time consuming as for national languages, so the development of relationships to others in the same professional field is easier and more productive. I speak to my children only in Esperanto. They are six and four years old and bilingual in Portuguese and Esperanto. Our aim, for my Esperanto-speaking wife and me, is to give them some resources to easily learn more languages, but especially to become open-minded to cultural diversity in the world. That is commonly overridden by the international use of English. Esperanto is a sort of "linguistic handshaking", as some writer brightly defined it. - James R. Piton, Brazil.Certainly Esperanto has a bright future. It's a pity that only a few people know that Esperanto has become a living language. During a short period of 121 years Esperanto is now in the top 100 languages, out of 6,800 worldwide, according to the CIA World factbook. It is the 17th most used language in Wikipedia, and a language choice of Google, Skype, Firefox and Facebook. Native Esperanto speakers, who have used the language from birth, include World Chess Champion Susan Polger, Ulrich Brandenberg the new German Ambassador to NATO and Nobel Laureate Daniel Bovet. - Brian Barker, Great Britain
English-speaking countries are rich and privileged, but they are increasingly dissatisfied that they are pitifully monolingual. The US, the UK and Australia all bemoan this fact and try to find solutions, but solutions are hard to find when the language of choice is so ill-defined, language teachers are much too scarce and time is short in our overcrowded curriculum. Esperanto faces a renaissance, not for any greatly idealistic reason, but for the practical reason that all primary school teachers can be equipped to teach it, at the time when children can best learn a second language. While learning Esperanto, the children can make meaningful contact with any of over a hundred cultures, giving them a second working language and a broad intercultural perspective by the end of primary school. They then enter middle school with the confidence, skills and perspective to choose, and succeed in, a third language in high school. By serving our own children well, giving them an achievable language goal in the 140 or so hours available for second-language instruction in primary school, Esperanto will become a normal part of English-speaking childhood. Whether the children and their primary teachers will choose to use the language they share to further the cause of international social justice remains to be seen. - Penelope Vos, Australia.
The 89th International Esperanto Conference in Beijing in 2004 The 89th International Esperanto Conference was held in Beijing in 2004
Most of the time it is very difficult to understand and be understood by people that studied English for ten years. There are no communication problems with people that have studied Esperanto during a tenth of that time. When they spoke English to me, it was because they wanted to sell me something. When they spoke Esperanto to me, it was because they wanted to be my friends.

Popular posts from this blog

The "What next...?" demon

What next?.... When I was a kid, I always thought that there is a certain age till when this question will bother me and after that, like for my parents, things will be in order. Life will fall into a routine and I will never again be confronted with this demon called "what next?". But turns out, for our generation, there is no point of rest. The demon is a part of our life like stability was for the generation before us. This realisation is also stale by now. In fact, it has been more than a few years since I even resigned to this way of life. The time period between such a realisation and resignation was hard, I must confess. But not anymore! The confrontations with this demon are a reassurance of life itself! (feels embarrassed after having said such things....) My childish philosophies may be sounding hilarious to you (reader). (Thank me for the entertainment! You are welcome!) What I wish to announce is: for a while, I do have an answer to one such "what next...?...

Slumdog Millionaire, what's the fuss all about?

I saw the movie a few days ago. I really don't understand: why so much fuss? If an Indian director makes a fully filmy hindi movie, no one gives a damn about it. But some non-indian comes and makes this movie and people are going all ga ga about it. A.R. Rehman has given music better than "jai ho". Anil Kapur has done roles better than this. This movie has set new records in making a big deal out of a not-so-amazing movie. I say this because, even a huge fuss has been made about why there is so much fuss about this movie. That is like the second order fuss about the movie! And here, I am making the third order fuss with a huge lot accompanying me in doing so. To start the tirade-- The main guy is such a put off! He has a unique expression on his face, indicating he really has no clue what people are talking about. You are supposed to be poor, not dumb for god's sake! Even some of the witty lines are lost due to his dialog delivery. For example, when one police man say...

Valentine's special

its a love story of two strange people who never knew they could fall for each other when they first met they only ended up fighting but slowy it became clear to them that they sure shared something a small problem happened when pride overtook him he thought she was less smarter than him she would solve a puzzle and he would solve it again he would tell her that she was simply an idea away from him... he said that he always gets this idea and then he does all that she can and probably much more... one day she decided his behaviour had to be checked she thought for a while and then she said... fine, then you sure can do everything but if you are strictly more smart you have to do the following think of some puzzle that you can easily do and then give it to me to solve and lets see if i can't do.... all the king's men and all the king's horses could not come up with a puzzle like this the duo got closer and the world around more curious today as it stands the puzzle is still ...